READING IS BASIC ANNOUNCES CELEBRITY AUTHORS AND HIGH-LEVEL LITERACY ADVOCATES TO JOIN ‘RALLY TO READ 100’ EVENT ON READ ACROSS AMERICA DAY
WASHINGTON, January 24, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — Reading is fundamental (RIF) today announced the lineup for its Reading Inspires! Webcast that will take place on Reading Day across America, March 2, 2022. To wrap up his 6-month campaign, “Gathering to read 100, “RIF invites classrooms and families across the country to join them for a virtual gathering with special guests, including a famous author, a lawyer and the Vice President of the Clinton Foundation. Chelsea Clinton, Grammy-nominated and five-time New York Times bestselling author Sandra Boyton, US Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona, academic and children’s author Monica Brown, and other famous proponents of literacy. The event will be hosted by John Orion, the 11-year-old founder of the “Race to Kindness” initiative and 2021 finalist for TIME’s “Kid of the Year.”
“The amazing guests who joined us for this event are a testament to the impact reading has on all of us,” said Alicia Levi, President and CEO of Reading Is Fundamental. “‘Rally to Read 100’ aims to foster a love of reading in children across the country and we are thrilled to have esteemed personalities, schools, businesses, families, teachers and many more unite the children across our country to read, leading up to this inspiring celebration of Reading Day across America.”
Reading inspires! The webcast lineup includes (in alphabetical order):
- Brian Anderson – Comic book and graphic novel author known for his long-running comic strip “Dog Eat Doug”.
- Sekou Andrews – Actor, musician, double national slam poetry champion, entrepreneur, creator of Poetic Voice and former teacher.
- Sandra Boyton – Beloved American cartoonist, children’s author/illustrator and songwriter whose work, beginning with The hippos are going crazy! (1977), has more than 70 books for children and seven books for the general public, including five New York Times bestsellers.
- Keith Boyton – Keith Boyton is a filmmaker, playwright, and actor whose latest film, “The Winter House,” recently premiered at the Woodstock Film Festival. (Sandra Boyton is his mom.)
- Monica Brown – Award-winning author of multicultural children’s books like Marisol McDonald Doesn’t Fit, professor of English and specialist in chicanx, latinox, afro-american and multi-ethnic american literature.
- Secretary Miguel Cardona – The 12th Secretary of Education currently serving with the US Department of Education.
- Chelsea Clinton – Author, lawyer and Vice President of the Clinton Foundation, alongside his father and former President bill clinton.
- John Orion (Host) – Author of A children’s book about leadership, Top 5 finalist for 2021 TIME “Kid of the Year”, winner of the 2020 National Kindness Speech Contest and creator of the “Race to Kindness” campaign.
- Alicia Levi – President and CEO of Reading Is Fundamental.
- Miles Robin – Award-winning actor and narrator who joins in for a narration of The Vanderbeekers make a wish.
- Alex Viorst – Inspiration for and sons of Judith Viorst, the author of the beloved children’s book, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, Not a good, very bad day.
- Jake from State Farm – Good neighbor and avid reader.
The six-month “Rally to Read” campaign encourages a commitment to read 100 books and is based on monthly themes such as diversity, compassion and nature which are accompanied by lists of recommended books, resources and content presented by children’s authors acclaimed as long – time supporter LeVar Burton, author, explorer and conservationist Philippe Cousteau and New York Times bestselling author Joanna Ho. Current and upcoming themes and read-alouds from authors or illustrators include:
- January (Adventure) – Don Tate, Illustrator of Black all around
- February (Compassion) – Joanna Ho, Author of play at the border
Read Across America Day, the National Education Association’s reading event is recognized annually on March 2. This year, Rally to Read 100 will mark the holidays with Reading Inspires! Webcast, a virtual celebration that includes appearances from authors, advocates and other storytellers. The winners of the Rally to Read contest, which donate a total of 10,000 books to expand library and classroom collections, will also be announced. Open to all K-5 training, the deadline for enter the raffle is February 1, 2022.
WHEN | OR
The broadcast of the event starts at 9 a.m. ET/ 6:00 a.m. to March 2, 2022, and can be viewed on demand until March 30, 2022, at RallytoRead.org/readacrossamerica. Register today on the Rally to Read event page – https://bit.ly/3ruI0QY
RIF launched Rally to Read 100 in September 2021 to commemorate the service of 100 million children since its founding in 1966 and to inspire students, educators and families nationwide to read frequently, especially in the wake of pandemic-related learning losses.
To learn more about Rally to Read Reading, visit https://www.rallytoread.org
Reading Is Fundamental would like to acknowledge the generous support of its partners. Official partners include International Paper, Macy’s and Scholastic; Promotional partners include Amazon, Dollar General Literacy Foundation, Fidelity Investments, Keenan Insurance, McDonald’s, Nellie Mae Education Foundation, Navient Community Fund, Pitney Bowes Foundation, Post-It, Starbucks, State Farm, and UGI Utilities, Inc. Reading is Fundamental is also collaborating with the national PTA to involve families in the initiative.
Reading Is Fundamental (RIF) is committed to a literate America by inspiring a passion for reading in all children, providing quality content to create impact, and engaging communities in the solution to give every child the basics of success. As the nation’s largest nonprofit for children’s literacy, RIF has provided over 420 million books to more than 100 million children in all 50 states, inspiring generations to read, learn and grow. . Learn more about www.RIF.org.
SOURCE Reading is fundamental